Looking for recommended resources to learn more about Anglicanism? You’ve come to the right place!
An Anglican “Starter Pack”
Note: Links to books below are Amazon affiliate links.
- Start with The Anglican Way: A Guidebook, by Thomas McKenzie.
- Buy a Book of Common Prayer (“BCP.” Click here to read our Rookie Anglican Guide to the BCP.)
- To learn more about the BCP, read:
- For a classic and fairly comprehensive reference work, read The Study of Anglicanism, by Sykes, Booty, and Knight, eds. There’s also The Oxford Handbook of Anglican Studies, but it’s quite expensive.
- For a classic/standard history of the Church of England, read A History of the Church in England, by J.R.H. Moorman.
- For an insider’s theological account of Anglicanism and its history, read Anglican Theology, by Mark Chapman. Or read Chapman’s briefer book, Anglicanism: A Very Short Introduction.
- For an outsider’s (Roman Catholic) theological account of Anglicanism, read The Panther and the Hind: A Theological History of Anglicanism, by Aidan Nichols, O.P.
Anglican Compass Books
- Ever Ancient, Ever New: The Allure of Liturgy for a New Generation, by Winfield Bevins.
- Liturgical Theology: The Church as Worshipping Community, by Simon Chan.
- Bible and the Liturgy, by Jean Daniélou.
- The Shape of the Liturgy, by Dom Gregory Dix.
- The Liturgy Explained: New Edition , by James W. Farwell.
- Introduction to Christian Liturgy, by Frank C. Senn.
- Evangelicals on the Canterbury Trail: Why Evangelicals Are Attracted to the Liturgical Church, by Robert Webber.
- The Private Prayers of Lancelot Andrewes.
- Selected Writings, by Lancelot Andrewes.
- The Faith We Confess: An Exposition of the Thirty-Nine Articles, by Gerald Bray
- Of the Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity, by Richard Hooker.
- Christ, the Christian and the Church: A Study of the Incarnation and Its Consequences, by E.L. Mascall.
- An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine, by John Henry Newman.
- Parochial and Plain Sermons, by John Henry Newman.
- Thomas Cranmer’s Doctrine of Repentance: Renewing the Power to Love, by Ashley Null.
- The Thirty-Nine Articles: Their Place and Use Today, by J.I. Packer
- The Catholic Religion: A Manual of Instruction for Members of the Anglican Church, by Vernon Stanley.
- English Spirituality : An Outline of Ascetical Theology according to the English Pastoral Tradition, by Martin Thornton.
- The Stripping of the Altars: Traditional Religion in England, 1400–1580, by Eamon Duffy.
- English Literature in the Sixteenth Century, by C.S. Lewis.
- A Little History of the English Country Church, by Roy Strong.
- A Word From The Lord, the teaching ministry of Archbishop Foley Beach
- The Bible Project
- Our Anglican Heritage, Second Edition: Can an Ancient Church be a Church of the Future?, by John W. Howe.
- The Accidental Anglican: The Surprising Appeal of the Liturgical Church, by Todd Hunter.
- Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life, by Tish Harrison Warren.
- The Presence Project: 12 Tools for Learning to Rest in God, by Summer Joy Gross.
- The Slow Word Movement: A Weekly Lectio Divina Video Subscription, by Summer Joy Gross.